image1 image2 image3

MAMA MAKES|THREE KIDS UNDER FOUR

The forgotten me



So this week on a very busy tube my three year old asked me " Mummy why are you wearing your bedtime trousers?"

I wasn't! I was wearing what I thought were very cool trousers! Clearly not and my embarrassment was met with smirks from other tube users. I don't blame them there is nothing funnier than the brutal honesty that children can throw out there. It was just a shame it was my child throwing me shade in such a public arena.

Sadly my son will never know that I haven't always looked like this......I used to be able to take longer than ten minutes to shower, get dressed and apply makeup. The makeup recently has been slipping in fact I ran out of foundation three months ago but haven't had a chance to replenish. Nareece circa 2012 would laugh at the thought of this. Never would she have seen a foundationless face as an option. Never would she have be seen in public without makeup, let a lone in a pair of trousers that resembled PJ's! In fact I'm sure my husband only saw my actual face 9 months after we got married when I gave birth to said verbally abusive child. Ahhhhhhhh motherhood you are a bitch sometimes!

The forgotten me

Mum told me a story
which was really funny
about a time before kids
when she had lots of money

She used to totter in platforms
Go dancing with her mate
wear little hot pants
and stay out until late

She had more than one handbag
and it was tiny to hold
she didn't wear a coat
even when it was cold

She always wore makeup
with her eyelashes long
loved going to a concert
to hear her favourite song

She ate dinner with two hands
and always wore white
and never had to get up
in the middle of the night

She could drink a cup of tea
Whilst it was still hot
My room a walk in wardrobe
That didn't contain a cot

She drank wine in a pub
Not slumped in a chair
Didn't have to keep washing
My favourite nighttime bear

She read me this story
without turning a page
my mum is so clever
it must be her old age


by Nareece Dearsley




Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment